Sunday, September 21, 2014

Virtual machine time!

Back in my Yoper days, I spent hours using virtual machines to run test installs and fiddle with buggy stuff etc.
I ran all the available VMs on and off but the most useful was generally the VirtualBox. Yes, its not "free" as in open source, but it is easier to use than the others and the features which it has by default make it so much easier than the hours of tweaking which some VMs need.

Anyway, I have just installed VirtualBox on my laptop to play around with some distros - and today I am installing Crunchbang Waldorf.

I was well impressed with this minimalistic distro when I installed it on the wifes EeePC a week or so ago, so a VM seems the perfect opportunity for me to have some time with it!

Installation of CB seems to be straight forward enough - I went with the defaults for the VM with regards to memory and virtual hard drive space. I didn't touch any of the other settings at all.

I went with the Debian choice from the VirtualBox menu - CB is a Debian system with a few tweaks.

The dvd with my CB installed was spotted and I selected to Install.
No problems - all went as expected, chose to install Grub to the virtual hard drive and everything went fine.
Rebooted the VM, removing the dvd and I am now looking at my Crunchbang virtual machine!

Awesome - and really really easy. Off to play now!

No comments: