Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Three and tethering

Three, who provide my mobile connection, allow new customers to use their phones as "hotspots" - i.e tethering - up to a gig or two per month.
Customers on their older (i.e around a year or so ago) contracts have to
purchase an "add-on" for a fiver to get a gig of tethering.

Back at Christmas, I was in Nottingham for a couple of days and could have done with this ability - but I am no way paying extra!
There is a - technically not allowed option I have available to me using an app on my jailbroken iPhone - but I decided to be fair and ask Three about it.
The reasonable response I got basically said that tethering wasn't allowed on my contract but Three listen and may change this soon.

Fair enough - it is now 9 months later, so I head over to the Three website to check if things are different.

Still the same - my contract requires me to pay if I want to use a pathetic gig or so of my unlimited download ability as a hotspot.
I fired off another email to Three.....

Today they have offered me the option to move to one of the new contracts - with unlimited data, unlimited texts and an extra 100 minutes talk time per month - plus free 0800 numbers (which mobiles usually charge for) and of course 2Gb of tethering - all for an extra £2 per month - and my contract period isn't affected.

Sounds quite tempting, but the tethering would only be a very very rare thing and is it worth paying out more for what I don't actually use now?

Never got even within half of my talk time - I usually manage to use 30 minutes if lucky!
Likewise the texts - probably half a dozen, thanks to WhatsApp etc.

Shall I go for it? Maybe... may be not....

Will decide soon!


No comments: