Thursday, July 24, 2014

More broadband speed ramblings!

So on Tuesday, I had to go to the local village doctors surgery. It is held in our village hall, which is next door to the house of some well known local people.
Whilst I was there, I noticed that I was connected to a BT wifi hotspot through my phone. Interesting I thought - I wonder how fast the local people internet must be.
Now BT encourage their members to opt in to their wifi hotspot deal - also was known as Fon - where you share a small percentage of your broadband to those who might be in your general area, in exchange for obviously being able to use other peoples shared wifi.

Bear in mind that only a small percentage of the bandwidth is shared - with less shared if you - as the main account holder are using the connection to its max - so I was interested to see what sort of shared speed I would get from their wifi

A swift Speedtest later and I find that the "shared" speed is 4.5Mb/s (later I got over 5) - so goodness knows what they get themselves!

I get 800kb/s to 1Mb/s as my main connection - not as a small shared wifi hotspot!

Then BT wonder why I hate the fact that they dumped all the 4G trialists to remain on this crap whilst using 4G to make little or no difference to city dwelling yuppies.


No comments: