Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Home Signal from Three

Well, the Home Signal box has arrived and thought I would pop a quick post about it on here.

The box wasn't the white, upright one I have seen on various videos - it was a black, lozenge shaped one.
First snag was trying to fit the ethernet cable into the back of the Home Signal - it is a pretty fiddly fit due to the size of the end of the cable and the overhanging cover of the Home Signal - but it went in eventually. It should have been an easier fit frankly, so if I was scoring it, it would lose a mark for that.

I had already read other peoples comments, so I reset the SIM card before going any further - some people found they were not fully inserted.

Once connected and turned on, I had a red light flashing slowly - lighting about once every second or two. Looking at my router settings, the Home Signal box didn't seem to be allocated an IP address and looking at the instructions which came with it, the slow single flash indicated that it is not connected to the broadband. So I used the reset button on the Home Signal to reset the thing and after 5 seconds, I released it and straight away I got the flashing green light which signifies that the box is starting to set things up.

After a few minutes, my mobile suddenly went from " No Signal" or at best 1 bar to 4 or 5 bars (seems to fluctuate a little but 4 or 5 is great!)  - and that is in the room below where the Home Signal is situated.

Not only can I now make calls from inside my home, but I assume the lack of struggling to get signal will help the battery life on my phone too.

I shall report again once I have played a little more.

No comments: