Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Trials and tribulations

Well, decided - based on my tests on a live disk - to install PCLinuxOS 2010.7 on the laptop.
As mentioned before, I was pretty fed up with the way Ubuntu was heading.
I have been trying both the KDE and Gnome versions, but went for Gnome as I still can't bring myself to like KDE4.x (I have tried several times but find it just too unstable and a little annoying to be honest - but YMMV!)

Anyway, once installed, I have discovered some snags. First of all the annoying warning about the battery being b0rked. I already know that - the laptop is pretty old and beat and the battery holds a charge for about 20 minutes at best. Now, in Ubuntu, to get rid of the stupid warning, it was a simple case of using gconf-editor to untick the warning notifications. However, in PCLOS, this didn't work! The boxes are unticked, but the warning still comes up each time I restart X. Frustrating bloody thing!

The second major annoyance is the scrolling. I like to use the middle button on my touchpad to scroll up and down and in the live cd it was working perfectly. Of course, now I have installed it to the hard drive, the scroll doesn't work! I can use the touchpad itself to scroll, but I like the button! So far, I haven't found out how to fix that - like all modern distros, the PCLOS xorg.conf is fairly minimal (although a billion times more info than the Ubuntu one!) and no mention of a section for mice etc. I guess I can write that section myself - I always used to edit the old XF86 and early xorg files by hand as they always get it wrong anyway....

Other than that, I am liking PCLOS so far. It isn't perfect - but what is? But it is pleasant, seems fairly quick and uses similar tweaked kernels to the old Yoper! IN fact, it quite reminds me of the old 2.2 Yoper - tweaked optimised kernel, the Mandrake control centre, rpm packaging, but with Synaptic.....
But also like Yoper 2.x, there is a slight air of "not quite finished" - and I don't mean that in a bad way. Just a lack of developers and funding I presume holding it back a little. Ubuntu has a lot of cash and plenty of devs, but they still turn out some pretty iffy packages at times and fail to deal with genuine concerns of users.

Anyway, I shall be experimenting more with PCLOS - I hope to keep it as my distro of choice for now at least.

No comments: