Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Wrong path?

Well, great news today for us Raspberry Pi fans!  A new Pi has been released - with quad core processor and double the RAM of the older models. All still the same lovely small size format too!

But..... on the downside, the article I read stated that the foundation intend to allow Windows 10 to run on the Pi - and Microsoft have been working with the Raspberry Pi foundation to make this reality.

Whilst I personally do not use MS products, the thing which worries me the most is that, due to its popularity, Windows may well end up as the official and perhaps only operating system for the Pi before long.

That is exactly what happened with the EeePC. The original 701 EeePC ran a very modified Linux version. Not my cup of tea and I soon installed other distros. But, within a short time, Microsoft, presumably worried about the (at the time) phenomenal sales of these netbook computers, started offering a cut down XP to the manufacturers and soon Windows was the default OS on netbooks.

I suppose the average punter prefers what they know, but it wasn't as though the Linux installed on these things was complex - it was very similar to the latest Windows versions with big buttons to click with fairly self explanatory names on them.

Well, I will not be installing Windows on any Pi of mine!

No comments: