Saturday, November 01, 2014

Same old...same old....

Isn't it funny how the same old topics crop up in my (and many other peoples) blog?

This one is about .... Gmail again.

In the last few days, every time I open Gmail, I get a yellow banner across the top telling me that my browser is out of date and that I should use a newer one. It gives me two options - to get a new version or to dismiss the banner. I dismiss it - but every bloody time I open Gmail in a browser, I get the stupid banner again.

Now, Mr Gmail, I *know* my browser is "out of date" - it is specifically that way. I hate the new look firefox and when it came out, I made the mistake of allowing Xubuntu to download and install it for me. It was dire - so I reinstalled the older version whilst I had a chance and then pinned it in my package manager (if you don't understand, it just means that I locked the version so a new one can't replace it).

So, I don't want the new Firefox. Please stop this sort of dictatorship, Google!  Every time the Gmail folks have too much LSD and come up with another wacky change to the UI, we all have to install it - they give us no choice. And now this crap....

Think I might just go to using Gmail via my mail program - see how Google like that!  Losing their ad revenue (although I don't actually allow ads - but still!)


No comments: