Thursday, April 23, 2015

Program specific crap

Well, I have allowed myself to fall foul of the most basic of things - using a program to create files which then is "updated" and no longer reads the old version - and my backup versions seem to have missed this.

Kword was a KDE app which was the default office type app for documents. Koffice was the overall package, but one could install various parts without others - so you could have Korganiser or whatever it was called without the Kword part.

So, all those Kword files I made back years ago?  I can't open the damn things!  My KDE distros - e.g Yoper - don't have the Kword bit - and my older distros - e.g Mandrake 9 or RedHat 7 - refuse to play in VirtualBox.

Abiword is supposed to open old KWord files - but not these ones :(

Moral?  Stick to basic formats. These are nothing more than simple documents - no clever formatting or embedded crap - just text. But they *might* contain something of interest....

Bugger


Update:  I have been able to install a copy of SuSE 9 which I actually *bought* years ago. A very good distro in its time it was too. Anyway, that had a version of Kword which allowed me to review those files and sort things.

No comments: