Friday, October 01, 2010

Build quality and laptop hinges

My current laptop - an Acer - has had a crack in the lid near the hinge since almost day one. Last night, it finally gave up and a big chunk broke off. Luckily, the laptop is still functioning - although closing the lid is pretty noisy and I am going to simply leave it open! However, the main point of this entry is to highlight the awful build quality of laptops - and particularly the hinges on them.
My previous laptop, a cheap (well, actually very expensive, but cheap for a laptop at the time!) IPC machine also suffered the cracked lid by the hinge problem. Likewise, one of my friends also bought an Acer - slightly later model than mine - and his lid has cracked in just the same way as mine.
The issue seems to be tightness in the hinge causing the plastic to flex and crack as the lid is closed down.
OK, so I have had this laptop for 4 or 5 years now, so I can say that I have had my moneys worth, but the crack appeared quite soon after purchase. I don't use the laptop as a table or to swat flies - I treat it with care and avoid placing things on top of it. As a technician, I know that these machines are very susceptible to having weights plonked on them or being dropped.

Oh, and I am not the only person with an Acer who had cracks develop in the exact same spot within weeks of purchase! If Acer wish to contact me, I am happy to provide details of the issue.
No? Didn't think so. Guess what my next laptop WON'T be?

No comments: