Thursday, June 22, 2006

Damn Windows.....

The daughters PC went wrong - no surprise, it runs Windows. Of course, I am expected to fix it as usual. As the problem is a Windows issue, rather than viruses or other junk, I agree. But she wants all her work saving - thats useful, considering the machine will not actually boot up fully!
Linux to the rescue ;) I could have used a live CD and rescued the data, but, as I partitioned the drive up when I set the machine up first, I installed Kubuntu on the spare partition. Successfully copied over the stuff she wanted to the Linux partition - but not got around to sorting the Windows install out as yet.
It gives her chance to use Linux ;) I got the usual complaints about how Linux is for Geeks etc - but now she has had to admit that Kaffeine ( a media player) is actually a lot better than anything in Windows.
She still isn't won over though - and of course, all her pals are calling her "geek" and stuff! But at least she can use the machine. She was using my main system for a few days - but that is Linux too, so at least she can sit in her own room and use her own system - even if it is with Linux. She didn't like my mouse - its a Logitech MX gaming mouse, so it is very quick and she is used to slow responses!
Guess I should fix the Windows machine - but I hate even using the word, never mind the (alleged) operating system.
I am not 100% anti-MS, but I personally don't use it or enjoy working on it. My main gripe with Microsoft is their business practices - those are what I object to.

Health update - been rough on and off. Last couple of days I have been a bit brighter - possibly because I stopped taking the ISMN so regularly. I take it on and off now - just maybe once a day. Also, I ran out of Nicorandil - so maybe that is relevant? Will mention it to the Quacks when I go for my yearly Cardiac and Diabetic clinic check next month. I bet they hate people like me who mess around with their meds ;) The thing is that they do not suffer from the illnesses, so they don't appreciate how badly the tablets interfere with patients lives. Take frusemide for instance. Its a diurectic - so you take it, you need the loo.... lots! Not much use if you want to go out - unless you are going somewhere with lots of convenient loos! The same applies to all the meds which lower my blood pressure. Doubtless in the medical books it says to issue out stuff to lower the BP - so thats what they do. It seems irrelevant that my BP is actually very low (around 90/45 generally). I take the meds - I go dizzy, short of breath etc.
Ah well - all good fun!

No comments: